Translate

Friday 15 March 2019

Asexuality and Relationship Anarchy

Asexuality/Relationship Anarchist Thoughts
from November, 2015

A really awesome person has used the phrase, "decision to build a relationship together with intention." It started me thinking again. So again, I ask: Need we confine ourselves to the notion that we have one partner? Need we treat our sexual partners as the "only" relationship that we have, or the "primary" relationship that we have?

As an asexual, for example, I will form all kinds of relationships that have various levels of romantic intimacy in them. Few, if any, would involve sex. I would not shunt someone into "secondary" position just because we don't have sex with each other. I would try not to and would work on it if I mess it up. I would also not treat someone as "less than" because my bond with someone else is more strongly intimate than my bond with that person.

It's cool if you're not into this or not up to this. Not all of us are polyamorous. Not all of us can deal with relationship anarchy.

For those of you who do have more than one loved one in your life - even if not all sexual partners or live-in partners or intimate friends: have you told your loved ones how you hold them in your life? Have you put a name on that relationship? Do your loved ones know about that? It's great that you shower them in love, and all of the blessings to you. It's just that your loved ones might not know where they stand with you, or they might want to discuss it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment