Translate

Tuesday 6 April 2004

Muslim Americans, or Muslims in America?

submitted to newshour@bbc.co.uk

Like 80-90% of Muslims in America, I also find myself politically involved - more so than before 9-11. Unlike others, however, I have not done this for self-protection. I did so as the result of some kind of revolutionary change in my life in which my political thinking and involvement was radically changed. I began to attend demonstrations and educate myself politically after this most recent Palestinian Intifada, when I realised that Muslims around the world are being oppressed. The event that really pushed me forward and after which there was no turning back was the American assault on Muslims in Afghanistan that occurred after 9-11. Since then, it seems that I have been disabused of my former conservative political thinking, and my eyes are now wide open.

I consider it important that I not be considered a hyphenated American. Instead, I consider myself an American Muslim. My first allegiance is to my religion and my moral and ethical values - not the country in which I happen to live. If the policies of that country reflect my religious, moral, and ethical values, then I would naturally support that country. Otherwise, I intend to be as visibly opposed to the country and its policies as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment