Translate

Tuesday 10 March 2015

Retreat: Come. You Are Welcome Here; Be Here at Home.

Come, come whoever you are!

Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving - it doesn't matter.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.
Come even if you have broken your vow a hundred times!
Come, come again, come.
-Rumi

Are you LGBTIQ? And Muslim? Religiously Muslim, non-practising Muslim, semi-practising, secular, atheist from a Muslim background - if Muslimness has any part of your identity and you are lesbian, gay, bi-/pan-/asexual, transgender, intersex, queer - we are all welcome here. Register! More below the image, which is a small bit of landscaping at Retreat.




Come, bring your lovely souls to this beautiful place and make yourself at home with us here - perhaps even discover a new family. Please consider it and register for Retreat today.

The 2015 Retreat for LGBTQ Muslims (and Partners) follows on four successful events held in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, each of which brought together more than 70 people from 4 countries, for a weekend of powerful dialogue, spiritual nourishment and emotional renewal.

Some of the kinds of workshops held at Retreat might include the following:
* gender
* writing
* how to pray
* Qur'an
* religious diversity
* HIV/AIDS
* relationships/sex
* creating communities
* coming out
* We also have prayers, dhikr, and the ever-famous Talent/No Talent Show.

Retreat Participant Sadaf Syed wrote of her experience at Retreat:
The LGBT Muslim Retreat was probably the most affirming experience I have had in my life, so far. I was a scholarship recipient and this was my first year as part of the retreat and I felt like I was finally able to be myself as a whole person. By 'whole person,' I mean that I felt like all of my identities were represented equally and I did not feel like I belonged only in certain ways and not others.

The people I met, the plenaries and workshops I attended and the conversations I had were all part of a learning experience that was much needed for my personal growth and development. I learned about myself, as well as the larger Muslim community. The accepting and non-judgmental environment was something I had not experienced within my own community, which was truly refreshing.
Does any of this appeal to you? Register! Not completely sure yet that you want to come? Register now and make up your mind later. Think that you're too secular for us? Register! This place is for you. We are here for each other.

Come. Come again, come.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment